- Facilities Management is updating lighting across the University with more efficient bulbs, such as LEDs and fluorescent T5s and T8s.
- Lighting controls such as occupancy sensors, daylight sensors, and smart breakers are being installed in corridors and public areas.
- All new construction and renovation projects must be LEED Silver or higher.
- Microwave sterilizers at Environmental Health and Safety reduce medical waste.
- The University of Maryland (UM) recycles 48 percent of its waste.
- Surplus property can be reused on campus.
- UM has two green roofs on campus—the Plaza Garage and the School of Social Work.
- Housekeeping employs environmentally sensitive cleaning methods to reduce water consumption and chemical use.
- Motion sensors are installed on sinks across campus.
Education and Outreach